31st Annual MAE Pumpkin Drop
- Friday, October 19, 2018
- 8:30 am to 2:00 pm
The goal of the Pumpkin Drop competition is to design an enclosure or apparatus to protect a pumpkin from damage when dropped from the roof of the 11 story high WVU Engineering Sciences Building. The surviving pumpkins that land closest to a target on the ground and pumpkin carrying device having the best design will be among the winning entries.
- Pumpkin must be at least 10 inches in diameter or larger and must be orange in color.
- Pumpkin and protective structure weight is limited to 60 pounds.
- The pumpkin container can have dimensions no greater than 20x30x60 inches.
- The inside of the pumpkin may not be altered (no freezing or adding chemicals).
- Pumpkins must free fall (no bungee cords), and must land within the designated drop zone.
- No styrofoam peanuts or other small, non-biodegradable packing fillers are allowed.
- No hard materials: no wood, metal, PVC pipe, or glass is allowed. Soft garbage cans are acceptable.
- No liquids, Jell-O, peanut butter or any oily substances are allowed.
- No electrical sources are allowed.
- No Styrofoam spray allowed in or outside of package.
- Package must be designed so that the pumpkin can be removed by the ground crew within 30 seconds after hitting the ground.
- Protective structure around the pumpkin must be designed with public safety in mind. Pumpkin enclosures that might splatter fragments or liquids toward the viewing audience will not be allowed.
- Protective structure must be designed so that it does not cause damage to any University property.
- Any entries that employ parachutes must be designed so that the parachute is dropped at the same time as the pumpkin or prior to the pumpkin, not after.
- Please keep the safety of participants & observers in mind at all times.
- The judges will have the final say on whether entries are viewed as safe to be dropped. Judges will disqualify entries with heavy, sharp, and/or protruding metal parts. These decisions by the judges will be final. No exceptions.
- No more than two (2) members from any participating team will be allowed to carry their team’s pumpkin to the roof of the building for the drop. Entries that have children under the age of 12 must have an adult as one of the two participating team members. All other team members must stay on the ground with the other observers.
- We will not be responsible for students entering the campus to participate in the Pumpkin Drop. Each School Representative will be responsible for their students.
- All teams must be checked in together. If you are part of a large group, designate one person (a teacher) to check in the entire group.
- To keep the drop line moving efficiently, someone from the team must remain with the pumpkin at all times.
- No materials will be returned. Items will be disposed of by event staff only.
- No Participants are permitted in drop zone.
Participants will be limited to the first 300 pre-registration teams. There will be no walk-in registration accepted.
Pre-registration forms can be obtained by contacting the Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department in room 813, by phone at (304) 293-3177 or by e-mail to email@example.com
The non-refundable entry fee is $10.00 per pumpkin.
Pumpkins plummet rain or shine!!!
Forms and Information
Below is a list of important documents for the Pumpkin Drop:
The T-shirt Order Form contains includes the design of the 31st Annual Pumpkin Drop T-Shirts. These may be pre-ordered for $12 or limited quantities may be purchased for $15 each on the day of the Pumpkin Drop from a Ronald McDonald House representative. All proceeds from the Pumpkin Drop Competition go to the Ronald McDonald House in Morgantown.